Minimum admission requirements for graduate study at VCU are outlined below. Individual departments and programs may set more stringent requirements as described in relevant sections of the Graduate Bulletin. Each department/program determines how to evaluate the individual requirements in a holistic assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate study in a particular field. Additional factors, such as prior professional experience, may also be taken into consideration.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or its equivalent. Departments may admit graduate applicants, provisionally or fully, with three-year bachelor’s degrees (provided these three-year degrees allow the students to pursue graduate studies in their countries). Further, the department will require prerequisite/foundation courses as needed to fill in any gaps in the student’s educational background.
- Required grade point average. For admission to graduate study at VCU, the Graduate School requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. In cases where the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, additional factors, including performance in the last 60 hours of course work, may be weighted more heavily in the admissions assessment. For students with earned graduate degrees from accredited institutions, the graduate GPA may be the primary basis for consideration.
- Test scores. Standardized graduate-level test scores (fewer than five years old) as determined by the individual program/department. Note: Not all programs require standardized test scores. See relevant sections of the Graduate Bulletin for individual program requirements.
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters of recommendation from instructors or professional references in the applicant’s intended field of study. Letters should address the applicant’s academic and professional abilities and preparation for graduate study.
- Statement of intent. A statement of the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate education in the planned course of study at VCU.
- Such additional requirements as may be established by individual programs and schools. These may include personal interviews, auditions, submission of a portfolio or other materials.
An exception to the general admissions requirements is made for students entering through the Guaranteed admissions programs of the VCU Honors College. (See the heading “Guaranteed Admission Through The Honors College” in this section.)