VCU Bulletins

Professional study

Withdrawal policies

Leave of absence

Students may request a leave of absence from a program through written appeal to their advisers. The adviser will forward the request, following departmental governance procedures, along with a recommendation to the dean, who will respond for the university. Students who do not register for courses for more than one calendar year and who have not been granted a leave of absence must reapply for admission to VCU and to the degree program.

Withdrawal from the university

To withdraw officially from VCU, a student must submit a complete Official Withdrawal Form to Records and Registration before the end of the 10th week of classes. The Official Withdrawal Form is obtained from Harris Hall, Room 1100, or Sanger Hall, Room 1-055. Failure to complete this form may result in the assignment of failing grades in all or some of the courses. The student’s permanent academic record will indicate a grade of withdrawn (“W”) for all courses in which the student was enrolled.

Health-related withdrawals

While students are expected to work toward completion of their degrees without interruption, health-related problems may necessitate withdrawal from the university.


Comments/feedback about this site   |   Bulletin (catalog) archives/printer-friendly bulletins   |   About these bulletins

Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia
Contact us:

Last update: 12/9/2010

Created by VCU University Relations