The Department of Teaching and Learning is committed to excelling in the initial and continuing preparation of teachers for the commonwealth, with particular emphasis on early childhood through secondary education in diverse settings; to collaborating with colleagues in educational agencies; to applying research about learning in classrooms; to undertaking scholarly endeavors that examine learning and teaching processes; and to providing technical assistance to special populations and service to school divisions and agencies.
The department values:
- Providing the highest quality teaching and opportunities for learning.
- Integrating academic disciplines, professional studies and clinical experiences as program components for student learning.
- Collaborating in the preparation of teachers and in the continuing development of faculty both within the university and in public and private educational settings.
- Enabling teachers and intending teachers to work effectively with students from diverse populations and those with special needs.
- Helping intending teachers become effective decision makers and practicing teachers refine their decision-making skills in the roles for which they are preparing.
- Effectively modeling the use of technology to enhance and foster learning.
- Incorporating, among others, developmental, cognitive and functional approaches and content areas in the preparation of personnel in early, middle, secondary and special education programs.
- Serving the university through faculty participation in institutional committees and task forces, programs, and supportive research and service institutes and centers within the university.
- Serving the community through technical assistance, workshops, consulting education activities, Professional Development Schools and other partnerships.
The Department of Teaching and Learning houses the following degree and certificate granting programs.
Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
Master of Education in Reading
Master of Teaching
Post-baccalaureate Graduate Certificate in Instructional Technology
Post-baccalaureate Graduate Certificate in Teaching (Secondary)
Post-master’s Certificate in Reading Specialist
Ph.D. in Education
For more information consult the department’s website at www.soe.vcu.edu/departments/tl.