Mission, philosophy and program goals
The VCU Dental Hygiene Program is committed to excellence in education, patient care, service and professionalism. The focus of the program is to prepare future practitioners to deliver health care services in an interdisciplinary, culturally sensitive manner. The mission is to provide an exceptional education to empower students to become lifelong learners devoted to scientific inquiry and service to the local, national and global community.
The following program goals reflect the mission of VCU, VCU School of Dentistry and the Dental Hygiene Program competencies:
- Prepare dental hygiene graduates who possess the knowledge, skills and attributes to provide quality dental hygiene care.
- Provide students with an interdisciplinary, evidence-based curriculum, reflective of contemporary health care delivery.
- Educate a diverse population of learners in a patient-centered, student-friendly atmosphere that fosters active and self-directed learning, critical thinking and self-assessment.
- Prepare dental hygiene graduates who are competent to provide patient-centered, comprehensive, evidence-based dental hygiene care in an ethical and professional manner.
- Provide a clinical education based on a model of prevention designed to promote optimal oral and systemic health.
- Prepare dental hygiene graduates to respond to the evolving oral health care needs of a culturally diverse society by demonstrating a commitment to civic engagement.
- Provide students with opportunities for service-learning activities in the community that promote the mission of the school, university and profession.
- Provide students with the skills to advance the foundation and practice of dental hygiene through a commitment to scientific inquiry and lifelong learning.
- Prepare dental hygiene graduates to assume leadership roles in professional organizations.
- Model professional behaviors consistent with ethical and legal expectations of the dental hygiene profession.