University Counseling Services
University Counseling Services provides psychological services to the university community. The mission of UCS is to create an environment that fosters student growth, development and psychological well-being.
Members of UCS’ professional staff include clinical psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, a consulting psychiatrist, psychology and social work interns, and advanced graduate students. UCS provides free brief psychotherapy to currently enrolled students as available. UCS adheres to professional, legal and ethical guidelines established by professional organizations and state law to protect student confidentiality.
University Counseling Services include:
- Counseling and psychotherapy. Individual and couples work is designed to deal with personal and interpersonal issues.
- Group counseling. Ongoing psychotherapy groups focus on personal and social concerns.
- Psychiatric services. Limited services include medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment with psychotropic medication.
- Crisis services. Walk-in crisis services during office hours (828-6200) and on-call crisis services after hours and on weekends (828-1234).
- Consultation and outreach. Presentations, workshops and staff consultation are available to student organizations, academic departments and other groups on issues relevant to each group’s needs.
- Safe zone. Workshops for faculty and staff designed to reduce homophobia and heterosexism.
UCS has office locations on both campuses. The Monroe Park Campus office is located in University Student Commons, Room 238, 907 Floyd Ave., P.O. Box 842525, Richmond, VA 23284-2525; telephone: (804) 828-6200. The MCV Campus office is located in the basement of Grant House, 1008 E. Clay St., P.O. Box 980238, Richmond, VA 23298-0238; telephone: (804) 828-3964.