To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all undergraduate and any other graduate study.
- GRE scores must be current (taken within the past five years), with scores at the 75th percentile or greater preferred.
- International students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Minimum TOEFL score is 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 100 (Internet-based); IELTS minimum score is 7.0. Test score requirements may be waived for international students who have received a medical degree (M.D.) in the U.S. Contact the program coordinator for more information.
Students must also submit the following materials with their application:
- Letters of recommendation from three individuals who can assess applicant qualifications for graduate school; at least one academic reference required. Most appropriate are letters from past professors or work supervisors.
- Current version of curriculum vitae or resume. Include experience and/or education relevant to study in public health.
- Personal statement following these guidelines:
- The document should be 1.5 or double-spaced with one-inch margins, in a font no smaller than 11 points. The document should cover the following issues in two to five pages:
- Description of the applicant’s career goals
- Why the applicant wishes to pursue an MPH degree
- How an MPH degree will help the applicant achieve her/his career goals
- Description of applicant’s particular areas of interest in public health (e.g., maternal and child health, cancer epidemiology)
- Why VCU’s MPH program best fits the student’s public health interests
- What applicant plans to do in the first few years after graduation