Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Language with a concentration in Spanish
Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, Spanish
Concentration requirements (31 credits)
- SPAN 300, 301 Advanced Grammar and Writing
- SPAN 305 Spanish Conversation or
SPAN 307 Spanish Conversation and Film or
SPAN 311 Spanish Through the Media (advanced conversation course)*
- SPAN 320 Civilization of Spain or SPAN 321 Latin American Civilization I (civilization course)
- SPAN 330 Survey of Spanish Literature or SPAN/INTL 331 Survey of Latin American Literature (survey of literature course)
- Two courses (six credits) of 300-level electives:
SPAN 320 Civilization of Spain, SPAN 321 Latin American Civilization I, SPAN 322 Hispanic Immigrants in the U.S., SPAN 330 Survey of Spanish Literature, SPAN/INTL 331 Survey of Latin American Literature and SPAN 332 Latino Writers in the U.S.
- Following successful completion of at least three courses (nine credits) of Spanish at the 300-level, students select three additional courses (at least nine credits) of Spanish at the 400- or 500-level**. Of the three 400- or 500-level SPAN elective courses, all majors must take at least two of the courses (in literature, civilization or cinema) at VCU.
- SPAN 495 Spanish Portfolio Seminar Exemptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
* Among these three advanced conversation courses, students can take only one of the three to meet core major and minor requirements. These courses cannot be taken by native speakers of Spanish, non-natives raised in a Spanish-speaking country or near-native speakers. However, under the consideration of the Spanish coordinator and class instructor, SPAN 307 and SPAN 311 may be taken by Spanish-speaking students raised in the U.S. who haven’t had enough practice of academic discourse in Spanish.
** Only three credits can be selected from the following courses to fulfill Spanish major requirements: SPAN 400 Spanish Translation
SPAN/LING 401 Comparative Structures
SPAN/LING 402 Language Issues in the Spanish-speaking World
SPAN 403 History of the Spanish Language
SPAN 404 Spanish Interpretation
SPAN 414 Commercial Spanish
SPAN 491 Topics in Spanish (if topic is Translation II or Interpretation II)
SPAN 494 Spanish Interpretation and Translation Internship
SPAN 533 Spanish for the Professions