Wilder School Scholars
Students in any Wilder School undergraduate major may apply for Wilder School Scholar status upon completion of their freshman year. Students must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA or a 3.75 GPA in their major to be eligible to become Wilder School Scholars. Students must maintain this average in order to continue their Wilder School Scholar status. Transfer students must meet these same requirements after a minimum of one semester of VCU course work.
In order to graduate as Wilder School Scholars, students must:
- Maintain the GPA cited above.
- Complete GVPA 499 Honors Seminar, a three-credit Wilder School Scholars capstone course or an honors thesis through the Wilder School Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.
- Complete at least 15 additional credits in Wilder School honors courses/variants/modules, with at least three of those credits completed each academic year, and at least three of those credits in an honors course outside the student’s major (but within the Wilder School).
- Attend at least three Wilder School events or seminars per academic year.
The Wilder School offers an array of honors courses each semester. With the exception of GVPA 499, which is limited in enrollment to Wilder School students, these courses are open to students from all majors, since they are offered in conjunctions with the Honors College. Wilder School honors course offerings will include:
- At least once per year, GVPA 499 Honors Seminar. The exact structure and content varies from year to year. The course will focus on a topic of broad interest to all Wilder School students and disciplines (violence, equity, justice, etc.).
- At least two three-credit honors courses each year.
- At least two honors sections of existing courses each year (generally these are sections of large, introductory-level courses).
- At least two honors variants in selected courses each year in which a student may receive honors credit while enrolled in a non-honors course by fulfilling additional requirements, including: more advanced readings; extra meetings with the professor and other honors students enrolled in the course; group projects with other honors variant students; or other activities as deemed appropriate by the instructor. These honors variants are distinguished by a separate section number and a title indicating honors status. Limits may be placed on the number of honors variant students in any single course.
- At least four 1.5-credit honors modules each year.
The Wilder School Scholars program is explicitly linked to the VCU Honors College. Students within the Wilder School may graduate with any one, or all, of three distinct levels of honors: honors in their individual majors (where available), Wilder School Scholar honors and University Honors. Students who graduate as Wilder School Scholars are designated as such at their graduation ceremonies, with a separate certificate, sash and other forms of recognition.
Students who wish to enter the Wilder School Scholars program or who seek additional information should contact the Wilder School Scholars director. Honors courses for each semester are listed in each semester in the Schedule of Classes.