The VCU School of Education is dedicated to the preparation of professional educators and clinicians, the ideals of academic scholarship, and the worthiness of service. Through our work in these areas, we recognize our responsibilities to students, university colleagues, the community at large, and professional organizations. While all of us share common values, the statements below intentionally allow for a variety of interpretations that may be influenced by our assignments, our experiences, and our philosophical principles within programs and across the School of Education.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of high quality programs by:
- Attracting high quality students.
- Being responsive to the external standards of accrediting and professional organizations.
- Providing meaningful clinical placements.
- Continually evaluating, assessing and improving programs and services.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of high quality teaching by:
- Creating an environment that supports student success.
- Demonstrating a variety of effective teaching strategies, including technology integration, universal design for learning and student-centered instruction.
- Fostering curriculum development that ensures familiarity with best practice across all disciplines.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of diversity by:
- Preparing students to work in culturally and linguistically diverse settings.
- Accommodating students with special learning needs.
- Promoting a diverse student and faculty community.
- Supporting intellectual curiosity.
- Modeling and promoting social justice.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of high quality scholarship and, in particular, the value of research culture by:
- Conducting relevant, high quality research that is responsive to the metropolitan community and contributes to the disciplines.
- Encouraging collaborative research with colleagues, practitioners and students.
- Supporting the creation, interpretation and dissemination of knowledge.
- Integrating current research into teaching.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of collaboration and partnerships by:
- Serving as a resource for the development of policy, curriculum, instructional practice and professional standards.
- Providing leadership and professional outreach to organizations, the university and the community at large.
- Maintaining partnerships and shared responsibility for professional preparation.
The school demonstrates its belief in the value of critical reflection by:
- Observing ethical practice and professional honesty.
- Encouraging students to exhibit dispositions consistent with accepted professional practice.
- Fostering a trusting, safe community of scholars.
- Engaging in ongoing professional development.
- Examining professional practices.
Educator as critically reflective practitioner
The guiding theme of educator preparation programs in the School of Education is educator as critically reflective practitioner. Courses and experiences provide opportunities for individuals to consider means of building on appropriate knowledge to make instructional, assessment, counseling and leadership decisions.