The School of Dentistry was created in 1893 when the University College of Medicine opened with a dental department as one of its original divisions. The Medical College of Virginia inaugurated a dental education program in 1897, and in 1913 the two schools were merged to form the MCV School of Dentistry.
In 1968, by an act of the Virginia General Assembly, MCV was merged with Richmond Professional Institute to form Virginia Commonwealth University. The School of Dentistry is located on VCU’s MCV Campus.
The facilities of the School of Dentistry are housed in the Wood Memorial, Lyons and Perkinson buildings and contain clinical facilities, research facilities, classrooms, student laboratories, departmental offices and a computer-learning laboratory.
The school provides opportunities for selected, qualified individuals to study dentistry under the most favorable conditions and in accordance with the standards established by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
The degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) is awarded to graduates of the school’s professional program and the Bachelor of Science degree to graduates of the Division of Dental Hygiene.
Graduates of the advanced dental education programs in endodontics, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry and periodontics are awarded the Master of Science in Dentistry degree.
Last update: 8/8/2011
The VCU Bulletin is in transition! As we move from this first iteration of our online Bulletin to a new product and process, what you find on this website is information for the 2014-15 academic year.
While much of the curricular information remains the same, changes that were approved with the effective date of fall 2015 will not be reflected on this website. Prospective students may wish to contact the school or department that administers their program of interest in order to discuss the most current curriculum and concentration options.
Enrolled students who are completing their studies under an effective Bulletin may continue to access the archives at http://www.pubapps.vcu.edu/Bulletins/archives.aspx, where past Bulletins are available to reference or download.
Our anticipated launch of the new VCU Bulletin is July 2015. To follow our progress, visit the new Bulletin blog.